Wave Music Community Board

Wave Music Community Board (http://www.wavemusic.com/community/index.php)
-   Tech Talk for Gearheads (http://www.wavemusic.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Temporary set up for Urei mixer in a club (http://www.wavemusic.com/community/showthread.php?t=5144)

lee_tree 08-30-2006 12:24 PM

Temporary set up for Urei mixer in a club

Hi there Wave techs, hoping someone can help.

In a couple of months I'm starting my own club night. Sound quality is important and I'm using my own
- Original Urei 1620 mixer
- E&S isolator
- Yamaha effects processor.

All run through a 15k Funktion One sound system

At the moment the units are in my spare room and stacked on top of each other horizontally - not the most ergonomic position, especially using the isolator as can't get that much control accessing the buttons when the unit lies horizontal.

My question is:
- Whats the most ergonomic angle to have the mixer & effects ? Many clubs seem to have them almost vertical, with a slight angle.
- How do I achieve this temporarily in a club where I have just got a table and obviously can't cut a slot for them to be flush ? Had thought about a 19" rack but again this would mean they are all positioned horizontally.

Hope this makes sense ! ...any help appreciated !

DSA.audio 08-30-2006 12:31 PM

you can buy or build a slant top 19" case....

make sure it is deep enough....

grizz 08-30-2006 02:02 PM

do you have a picture of the setup? might help a lot.

Groovejunk 08-30-2006 02:08 PM

Or buy yourself a tabletop rackmount and turn it upside down like I did. I'm in the middle of a renovation of my house and needed a temp setup also :)

DSA.audio 08-30-2006 03:03 PM

I don;t know that I would want to transport my UREI in a open rack like that...

seen bad accidents happen too often.

I think for home it would be OK, but to take to a bar? I dunno about that...

seems like unnecessary risk IMO

lee_tree 08-30-2006 03:45 PM

yep, think thats a fair point about transporting the Urei - was a bugger carying it back from NYC to London and last thing I was is for it to get damaged. Plus, I'd rather keep the isolator & effects unit in one piece too.

Like the look of this...http://www.kamkase.co.uk/products/sl...ombo/prod2.htm

FYI, here's my current set up..

DSA.audio 08-30-2006 04:23 PM

I got my slant top case used in my local area for about USD$20 from a private seller, the local pro audio shops were looking for USD $120 or so for used units...

10U slant top, with 8U below...

like I said, make sure the case's slant top compartment is deep enough... some of them are designed for 19" mixers that have the inputs/outputs on the top edge of the mixer instead of behind the unit...

Yeah -- I got my rack case for the exact same reason,

protect the equipment at one off parties...

Groovejunk 08-30-2006 04:31 PM

Ah ok. Sorry. I didn't understand that you had to transport it. My bad ;)

djmariog 08-30-2006 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lee_tree
Hi there Wave techs, hoping someone can help.

In a couple of months I'm starting my own club night. Sound quality is important and I'm using my own
- Original Urei 1620 mixer
- E&S isolator
- Yamaha effects processor.

All run through a 15k Funktion One sound system

At the moment the units are in my spare room and stacked on top of each other horizontally - not the most ergonomic position, especially using the isolator as can't get that much control accessing the buttons when the unit lies horizontal.

My question is:
- Whats the most ergonomic angle to have the mixer & effects ? Many clubs seem to have them almost vertical, with a slight angle.
- How do I achieve this temporarily in a club where I have just got a table and obviously can't cut a slot for them to be flush ? Had thought about a 19" rack but again this would mean they are all positioned horizontally.

Hope this makes sense ! ...any help appreciated !

Where are you located?

DSA.audio 08-30-2006 05:26 PM

I think he is in London....

up for a trip across the pond Mario?

lee_tree 08-30-2006 06:29 PM

Hi there Mario - if you don't mind popping over to London, that would be great ! ;) In fact its one of your Urei mixers i'm looking to house & protect.:D

DSA - thanks for tip - I've found somewhere locally that sells this type of thing. Think the only thing is to take all the equipment and ensure that it fits.

Groovejunk - thanks for the rack advice. Originally this is more like what I had in mind but thinking about it, do like the idea of safe tranport etc...